Have you fallen victim to a fashion crime? It doesn’t matter what you call it- a fashion faux pas or a fashion mistake- celebrities are constantly in the headlines for dressing in unacceptable ways. Unfortunately most of us have also been guilty of one or two fashion faux pas in our lives. Below are 9 fashion Don’ts and a few tips that will save you from unsightly and embarrassing fashion mistakes.
1. Hiding Your Body Shape - Women tend to think that by covering themselves with bulky clothing, they are hiding a little extra weight. Wearing oversized clothing actually has the opposite effect and makes you look larger. Instead, wear clothing that embraces your shape and accentuates your best features. Conversely, if you buy clothes that are too small they will emphasize every bump and bulge. Buy and wear what fits. We all may want to lose a few pounds, but you have the body and shape you do now. When you dress your current size, you will look and feel better about yourself. If you happen to lose or gain a-bit of extra weight, clothing can always be tailored to re-fit your new body!
2. Muffin Top Jeans – Don’t wear jeans that are too tight or baggy. They should sit at your natural waistline so they are comfortable and your stomach doesn’t hang over the top. Also, when you bend over they should be high enough they do not show your underwear. Some cleavage is just not attractive ladies!
3. Puckering Blouses – Button up blouses should fit properly across the chest and not gap anywhere.
4. Following Trends That Don’t Flatter - Not every trend is designed for every body type. Pick and choose the trends that work with your body type, skin tone and age. For instance, if short skirts are in and your legs aren’t your best feature then you may want to avoid that trend and look for a more suitable option. Also, women after 40 often give up on trends. No…no…no! You can still look great in trendy pieces by pairing them with classic clothing that you already own. An example could be wearing a trendy Luisa Cerano floral dress paired with a classic Armani jacket.
5. Visible Undergarments - Wear proper fitting undergarments under your clothing. Look in a mirror before leaving home to ensure panty and bra lines do not show. There are different shape-wear products on the market that will give you the appearance of a smoother figure. Two good options are Spanx and Yummy Tummies (available at Blu’s). Also, have a professional bra fitting as 70% of women are wearing the wrong size. Make sure your bra straps are adjusted tightly so they do not fall down. If you wear a see-through top, choose an undergarment that is close to your skin tone. Also ensure that your underwear is lower than the top of your pants.
6. Wrinkled Clothing – Make sure to have your clothing professional dry cleaned or pressed, or save time for ironing. Wrinkled suits and dresses are not flattering.
7. Footwear Flops - Make sure your shoes are in style, compliment your outfit but most importantly they should be in good repair, clean and polished. If you wear open-toed shoes, treat your toes to a pedicure. Ragged, half polished toenails are not attractive and yes people do notice. As for office fashion crimes, flip flops are out. Sneakers are fine with workout clothes or walking the dog, but not for casual outfits such as Eileen Fisher. There are more suitable choices like sandals, ballet flats or wedges and they will give you a more stylish, fashionable casual look.
8. Wearing Labels – When you purchase a scarf, the tag should be removed. The same goes with designer coat labels on the sleeve, they should be removed. You may want someone to know you are wearing an Armani or Hugo Boss coat but the jacket will speak for itself, remove the tag. Also when you purchase a new coat or blazer that has a pleat in the back, make sure you remove the two stitches that are tacking it closed near the hem. (this is usually in an “X” shape).
9. Orange Tans - With summer around the corner everyone is looking for that “real” safe fake tan. “Orange tans” are still out this year, but there are some good products on the market for a healthy looking natural tan. Estee Lauder and Clarins are both great products. A big key to a healthy looking tan is to exfoliate before applying the self-tanner. The tell-tale sign of a fake tan is really orange hands. Please be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after applying your tanning products. Don’t overuse the products, a little goes a long way and a subtle light tan looks sexy.
Do you have a fashion question for us? Contact one of our Blu’s fashion stylists and we will be happy to answer your question in a future featured blog.